Monday, June 13, 2011

beginning note

This blog will be an every so often note on my efforts in genealogy, when I have the time and energy to put it together. A sporadic journal of things I have done or not done that I now regret

When I first started in genealogy I had no idea of what needed to be done. As a consequence I am now faced with the task of going through my database and adding facts and sources to my early discoveries. I am also trying to bring place names up to standard, according to the new rules - which by the way seem to change every year or so. Actually you could even say the same for sourcing. what was good enough for the 1920's and 1930's is no longer adequate for today's standards.
I do not source according to standard and probably never will, my standard is if I found it and write down where and when in such a way that one of my descendants can actually find the same thing it is good enough, I will probably never publish anything and therefore need never meet the high or impossible standards of sourcing that are out there.

I do try now to do a reasonably exhaustive search, and I am working with my first four generations, giving each one a timeline of their life as I find it. My present task is to find the 1870 census for my Daniel C Miller. I have him in 1850, 1860, 1880, and 1900. I have his obituary in 1901 which is vague on his birth, so I am looking for documentation on that. I have my own site at www.clancywrightgenealogy.org if you would care to look at it

3 comments:

  1. Great job Shirley, Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shirley, very much looking forward to reading about your family history . . . welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shirley - can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete